Best Activity Tracker for Triathletes in 2017
Are you a Triathlete? Are you looking for a fitness tracker? Perfect! Get wearable tech designed just for you!
Fitness wearables are entering a new generation, with activity trackers becoming smarter and more multifunctional than ever.
Triathletes can now benefit from activity trackers that are designed specifically for their sports. An activity tracker for triathletes is adapted so that it will provide all the essential and necessary data not only when the wearer is running, but also during swimming and biking.
Swim – Bike – Run!
So really, what triathletes get with their specially adapted fitness wearables is three devices rolled into one.
Real time information at every stage of the triathlon
A triathlete has 4 personal bests to keep track of: their personal bests when running, swimming, and biking, and then their overall personal best in the entire triathlon as well.
An activity tracker for triathletes will be able to let the wearer know a variety of different types of information. Most important for a triathlete of course is heart rate, speed, and distance covered.
But, there are several types of information provided by such an activity tracker that are specifically suited to either running, swimming, or biking. When it comes to swimming, for instance, the activity tracker can measure stroke rate, as well as speed and distance covered.
Activity trackers for triathletes to suit at all levels
These small, comfortable, and of course waterproof and wetsuit friendly wearables are great for all kinds of triathletes.
Whether you are a professional athlete or training for a friendly charity event (or both!), you will be able to find the perfect activity tracker for you. Continue and check out our list of activity trackers for triathletes below:
Garmin Forerunner 920 XT
Whether you are in the water, on the bike or on the run – the Garmin Forerunner 920XT is the premium selection for all triathletes.
It is designed for both, pool swimming and open water. While biking it is compatible with additional sensors like speed or power meter and it also has additional GPS functionality.
Moreover, the activity tracker will help you to train for your best running form by providing you a valuable set of dynamics data. Because it is definitely a premium watch, you will have to spend some money for the Garmin Forerunner 920XT.
- This version is originally intended for sale outside the US and may contain adapters, manuals, and warranties not compatible with US standards.
- VO2 MAX, RECOVERY TIME & RACE PREDICTOR2 Forerunner 920XT estimates VO2 max, recovery time and predicts your race times for several distances when used with heart rate. When used with a power meter, it estimates VO2 max for cycling as well.
Being the personal choice of IRONMAN’s world champion Frederik Van Lierde, the Polar V800 is everything you need when you would like to improve your training results.
Built-in are for example GPS, swimming metrics and a training guide that vibrates or notifies you with a sound when you have to speed up or slow down.
After your training session, you are able to create in-depth and detailed performance charts with the help of Polar’s software.
- Heart rate and GPS enabled multisport training device for ambitious triathletes, runners and endurance athletes
- Combines training load with 24/7 activity data for true recovery status; Tracks route; distance; speed/pace and altitude (via barometric altimeter)
Timex Ironman Triathlon watch
With the Timex Global Trainer Speed and Distance GPS watch you will be able to track your pace, distance and performance data with a single wrist device. The tracker can read data from your heart rate monitor and your bike sensor.
With the help of GPS, you can track your altitude, speed and distance.
Ultra-slim design, an extra-large display, interval training and one-button control are some of the highlights TomTom’s multisport watch for triathletes provides.
The TomTom Multi-Sport is suited for swimming, running and cycling. Compared to the other trackers it’s one of the less expensive smartwatches for triathletes.
- Extra-Large Display so you can see your key running, cycling and swimming stats at-a-glance.
- Graphical Training Partner helps you train more effectively with full-screen graphics and three unique training modes.
In case you are not a professional runner and not training for any Ironman contest you might take a look at the Misfit Shine.
The Shine is probably the cheapest multisport fitness tracker available on the market. Of course, it will not provide premium features like GPS tracking but it’s a good device for everyday use. Find also a detailed review of the misfit shine vs misfit flash here.
- Tracks distance traveled, calories burned, steps taken and various activities, such as walking, running, swimming, cycling and more.
- Automatic monitoring of light and deep sleep cycles and how long you've slept.
Garmin Fenix 3
The Fenix 3 offers GPS, heart rate monitoring and interval training.
It is shock resistant, can forward all calls, text messages, emails, and other notifications, and offers ANT+, which is great if there are special accessories you want to use in combination with the watch.
Moreover the Fenix 3 has a compass, weather, barometer and altimeter apps. For more information check out also the articles on the Review of the Fenix 3 Sapphire and our comparison of Fenix 3 and 920 XT.
- CHROMA DISPLAY - 1.2" sunlight-visible high-resolution color Chroma optically-bonded display
- WATER RATING - Water rated up to 10ATM / 100 meters1; suitable for swimming
- EXO ANTENNA - Omni-directional steel EXO antenna, when paired with GLONASS and EPO, provides an even faster fix and accurate position than GPS alone