As a parent, you very likely know that keeping kids out of their screens is a real challenge. Many kids spend most of their free time in front of desktop computers, laptops, video games and mobile devices. So why not make the best out of new technologies and try a fitness tracker for kids to improve their behavior?
Your kid’s current video game fascination does not only prevent them from real socialization but also prevents them from keeping healthy lifestyles.
Thus our kids are becoming more and more sedentary, and we all know how important for good mental and physical health it is to practice outdoor activities, do sports, and train face to face socialization with families and peers. CDC Obesity facts show that percentage of children with obesity in the United States has more than tripled since the 1970s.
Although it is true that technology is to blame for it in a large percentage, it is also true that, nowadays, technology can improve your current situation dramatically.
What can an activity tracker for kids do for you?
A ‘Fitbit for kids’ will:
- Measure your kid’s activity
- Keep your kid motivated to move
- Improve physical, emotional and social health of your child
- Alert you if your baby is inactive
- Warn you if you kid enters or exit a specific area (so-called “geofencing”). For trackers with geofencing functionality, please see my previous post about GPS tracker for kids
The latest innovative tech devices encourage kids to adopt healthier and more active lifestyles than ever before.
Following is our list of the top fitness trackers for kids.
Garmin Vivofit Jr.
Garmin designed this the Vivofit Jr. fitness tracker specifically for kids. The water resistant activity tracker encourages your kids to stay active.
To motivate kids, the Vivovit Jr. integrates an interactive adventure app. The app will provide sheer fun for the kids, while parents will be able to keep track of their youngster’s steps, the time they stay active, send them small tasks, and even deliver them virtual rewards from their mobiles.
This tracker with a nice yet sturdy design made of a durable and swim-friendly material, tracks the taken steps, sleep time, and keeps control of the 60 daily minutes of activity recommended.
The battery of the Garmin Vivofit Jr. lasts up to 1 year.
- 1-year battery life - no recharging needed!
- 24/7 wearability - swim-friendly with 5 ATM water resistance.
- Kid tough - easy to put on, the 1-size-fits-most, nonstaining, 1-piece band stretches over your child's hand and fits comfortably.
back to menu ↑
LeapFrog LeapBand Activity Tracker
The LeapBand allows children to customize a virtual pet, choosing among eight pets in five different vivid colors.
Pets come with preselected names. Instead of setting high goals, the LeapBand provides the kids different micro-goals quite steadily.
Additionally, the LeapBand is not only an activity meter, but it also has action challenges to have the kids moving with a sweet voice giving them instructions such as “Dance like a chicken”, “Wiggle like a worm”, etc.
However, knowing that kids need some time to stay quiet, the LeapBand also offer calm activities, like mini games that teach healthy habits or having them taking care of their virtual pets needs.
- Experience the first activity tracker made for kids-LeapBand is fit made fun!
- Preload LeapBand with 50 active challenges that get kids moving, like "Pounce like a lion!"
- Parent controls on LeapFrog Connect make it easy to set play times, challenges and more.
back to menu ↑
The Fitbit Zip is a small device that either can be used as a watch or as a pedometer. During school time and homework, your kids will not be distracted from learning because they can use it as a simple watch
The good thing of these colored Fitbits for kids is that they get kids up and moving, keeping them away from video games or mobile devices screens.
Fitbit Zip keeps kids up and moving, keeping them away from video games
Imagine your kids love getting out on the playground and move around to achieve more steps with their Fitbit.
Of course, kids don’t care about burnt calories. However, they love seeing how they did compare to last week. They not only want to get the larger amount of steps in the “Weekend Warrior challenge”, but they also want to beat their previous record.
This gadget allows plenty of family fun, while also encourages them to go further.
- Tracks steps, distance and calories burned
- Syncs automatically to your computer or select bluetooth 4.0 smartphones or tablets
- Set goals, view progress and earn badges
- Share and compete with friends throughout the day
iBitz Kids Activity Tracker
Because of that, all the game interactions take place on the compatible mobile device (iPad, iPhone, or 5th gen iPode touch). The iBitz syncs via Bluetooth and interfaces with the Ibitz Kids iOS app.
The related app is about a cartoon in which a spacecraft explores the outer-space. The spacecraft is empowered by your child’s steps. Parents can set the step goals and the reward for the kids. The reward could be screen time, play time, or an exciting shared adventure with the parent via the app.
In addition, the more active the kids are, the more they empower the spacecraft and the more virtual coins they earn. These coins also give access to entertaining content through Disney’s Club Penguin.
- Wireless Activity tracker for Kids
- Syncs wirelessly to free kids virtual pet app, steps keeps character healthy
- Secure clip for attaching to hip or shoe
- Durable and water-resistant able to withstand kids wear and tear
Nabi, known for manufacturing the popular tablets for kids expanded its horizons to fitness wearables. This fantastic fitness tracker for kids intends to engage children in fitness and social fun, encouraging family activities and teaching healthy habits.
The Nabi comes with two colorful wristbands that link to the Nabi Compete app for iOs and Android mobiles.
Furthermore, the Nabi app offers head-to-head and collaborative tasks too while helping kids track food burnt, complete challenges, earning virtual rewards as pets or badges along the way.
With the Nabi your kids can also take part in the Nabi Konnect, a kid-friendly social network.
- The nabi Compete Barbie Edition is the first competitive band that lets kids be anything as they run, dance or skip through their favorite Barbie hangouts. It's fun to track your progress on the leaderboard and see how well your friends are doing
back to menu ↑
Pard Kids Fitness Tracker
The Pard Kids fitness tracker is a waterproof sports fitness tracker that features an Oled touch screen.
Overall, the pard Kids is a very comprehensive tracker which includes a pedometer and a heart rate monitor. Of course, it is compatible with Android and iOS smartphones.
Because it is waterproof sealed your child can use it while swimming. In fact, it can automatically detect swim posture, track paddling times, swimming time and burnt calories. So it is an ideal device to start swim trainings.
When active, the fitness tracker counts steps and also has a sleep monitor. I also would like to mention that it is more than a simple fitness tracker since it proves SMS, Call, Facebook and Twitter vibrating alerts.
Pard Kids Fitness Tracker, Bluetooth 4.0 Heart Rate Monitor Smart Bracelet for Android iOS Smartphone, Purple
- Multi-function. Time display; Heart Rate Monitor; Pedometer; Calorie burning; Distance Tracking steps; Sedentary remind; Calls message alarm alert ect.
- OLED display and touch screen design, check time date, movement freely on your wrist. Smart ligh up function "ON", the screen will auto light up and display time when you turn over hand.
Sqord Activity Tracker for Kids
The Sqord is a wearable social game that reward’s your kids activities. On November 2016 2nd, Sqord Inc announced its newest fitness tracker, the Sqord Activity Pod.
It comes with a free game app that encourages group play among kids. The idea is to help them improve their physical, social, and emotional health.
Thus it combines on one side the fitness tracking functions with activities to engage and compete with friends and families.
Of course is not just a step counter because it keeps track of all movements and converts them into points. Use these points to get nice awards in the Sqord app.
Sqord Activity Tracker - Activity Band with Fun, Motivating Game App, Points and Awards for Kids and Families. Indestructible, Waterproof,...
- BEST ACTIVITY TRACKER FOR KIDS. Sqord Wearable Activity Tracker motivates HEALTHY, ACTIVE PLAY through fun game app for kids, allowing them to compete and earn points for everyday healthy activities
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE - 3rd party health system study with 5th graders found that kids using Sqord INCREASED their ACTIVITY LEVELS by 55%!
Snuza Hero SE Baby movement monitor
This tracker and monitor is very different from the ones we listed above. Instead of tracking your children sports activities, it is a portable monitor that allows parents to track their little one’s abdominal movements.
An indicator warns you when movements have become infrequent or weak, and it provides a gentle vibration stimulus after 15 seconds of undetected movement. The Snuza Hero SE is comfortable and easy to wear since it just needs to be clipped directly onto the diaper.
Additionally, the movement monitor comes with an award-winning instruction manual about infant health care information.
- Small - fits onto baby's diaper
- Vibration stimulation after 15 seconds
- Audible alarm after 20 seconds
- Safe - no wires or cords.
Mimo Smart Baby breathing & activity monitor
The Mimo Smart baby breathing & activity monitor provides parents an additional layer of security for their babies safety protection.
To be used for newborns to 3- 4 months old babies, this tracker allows parents peacefully and relaxingly sleeping all night long knowing their babies are thoroughly monitored.
The Mimo measures your babies breathing, body position, activity level, sleeping temperature, and even if it is asleep or not. The Mimo Smart sends alerts and reports about your baby’s sleep and utilizes your smartphone to connect with all your caregivers to help families enjoy quality sleep.
- REAL-TIME BREATHING - See your baby's breathing while they'e sleeping, right on your phone, no matter where you are. Mimo's proprietary technology picks up even the most subtle rise and fall of your baby's chest, allowing you to know how she's breathing, whether you're in the next room, or across the world.
Fitness tracker for kids – summary
Regardless of the age of our kids, from newborns to pre-teens, having their activities monitored gives parents an immense relief.
The importance of proper sleep during their first months of keeping track of their movements as babies to knowing your toddlers or pre-teens keep and active lifestyle that helps them stay mentally and physically healthy.
Additionally, a fitness tracker for kids also maintains real-life relationships with their peers, and sharing time with their families is under no discussion.
Depending on your child’s age, among the above-listed trackers for kids you will find what you need to monitor your child’s activities, and encourage them to maintain an active lifestyle.
In case you have further questions or know additional devices please don’t hesitate to add your comments below.