Garmin Forerunner 235 GPS Running Watch
Are you training for a marathon or are you just hoping to get back into a steady workout routine? Regardless of what your fitness goals are, it’s important to make solid investments to help you get there. A lot of hard work and elbow grease can get you pretty far, but why not look into having a stylish and helpful accessory to make attaining your fitness goals even easier?
We’ve come so far with technology that most of us want more than function out of a new device. Over the last few years, companies that produce fitness trackers have stepped up their game from the bulky, and one use devices that they used to sell.
It’s important to have a device that covers all the bases with style, battery life, usability, and the additional perks that make it a must-have item. Fitness trackers like the Garmin Forerunner 235 could be a good fit for you if you’re ready to take your training to the next level with style.
The Garmin Forerunner 235 is the next step forward in Garmin’s line of wrist wearable heart rate monitors. It comes after Garmin’s Forerunner 25, six months after its release. Garmin has made sure to keep up with competitors like Wahoo, as they’ve taken the hassle out of having a heart rate monitor on you while you train.
Customers can enjoy the increased mobility that comes with not having to wear a heart rate monitor across your chest, and the added appeal of a heart rate monitor with the chic look of a smartwatch. The Garmin Forerunner 235 comes in four different colors- black-grey, frost-blue and black, marsala, and frost-blue.
The Garmin Forerunner 235 packs a powerful punch with its additional features, and if you’re determined to meet your training goals, you’ll want to take advantage of its abilities to track your distance, running times, heart rate, and running pace.
It will give you audible notifications about your current heart rate and pace, while still performing some of the duties that have made us want to make smartwatches a part of our lives. The Forerunner 235 will count the number of steps that you take each day, how many calories you’ve burned each day, and how much sleep you’re getting each night.
The Forerunner 235 uses an optical light that will measure the blood flow in your wrist, and it will produce a more accurate read of your heart rate, especially when you compare it to a heart rate monitor that you wrap around your chest.
Customers have the additional perk of being able to track and evaluate their sleep patterns, all of the information that the Forerunner 235 collects for you, whether it’s your heart rate, distance ran, calories burned, or hours slept, and uploads it to Garmin Connect. Garmin Connect is Garmin’s online tool that you can sync your run stats to so that you can view them later.
You can enjoy the added benefit of being able to stay in the loop while you’re on a workout or just on the go. The Forerunner 235 can connect with your smartphone via Bluetooth. It’s compatible with Android and Apple phones. It will show you social media notifications, phone calls, and the weather based on information from your smart-phone.
Additionally, you can use a personal photo on the display, and you can enable the find-my-phone feature from it if you’re ever in a hurry and you can’t find your phone.
- Garmin has accounted for fashion just as much as function with the Forerunner 235. You’ll avoid the clunky look that you might get with some smartwatches because the actual watch is smaller than average, but the display is larger than the previous model, which is great for a quick, easy to read view of your notifications.
- The Forerunner 235 has a strong battery life; it can list up to 11 hours while in activity tracking mode and not in GPS mode, the previous model of the Forerunner only lasted 10 hours while in activity mode.
- The Forerunner 235 is not only incredibly accurate with its heart rate reading, but it will detect when you’ve paused during your runs, and only pick up the information that you’ll want to see when you review it in Garmin Connect later.
- If you switch from a run or jog to intense interval training, the heart rate monitor may not be as accurate.
- You can access the Garmin Connect tool through an app on your phone or from your desktop, but some customers did report that the watch had connectivity and syncing issues and they weren’t able to get their complete set of stats. However, you can always try connecting the Forerunner 235 to some of the third-party apps that it supports if you run into this issue.
- There were some complaints of a glitch where the Forerunner 235 watch was unable to detect the wearer’s heart rate if they had tattoos or dark skin, but many users will tattoos, or dark skin also reported that they didn’t have any issues.
Easy to Use, No Nonsense Features
For example, you’ll want to push yourself to outdo your previous running times every time because the Forerunner 235 alerts you to when you’ve finished a lap, or if you’ve completed one-hour morning run. From the beginning of your day to the moment that your head touches your pillow for some much-needed rest, the Forerunner 235 is working for you.
You can seamlessly move from your morning run to a quick shower before you start the workday, and you’ll never have to remove the Forerunner 235. The watch is water resistant, and once you’ve started your day, it’s tracking how many calories you burn and how many steps you take as you go through the motions.
Additionally, your Garmin is designed to keep track of your heart rate and the events going on in your busy life. Garmin has eliminated the way that you had to choose between a cross body heart rate monitor and a smart accessory that can help you manage your productivity.
Individuals that are marathon runners one minute and CEO’s the next will appreciate being able to see events that they’ve inputted on the calendar on their smartphones being reflected on the screen of the Forerunner 235. You’ll also be able to see phone calls, texts, and emails.
The Forerunner’s 235 battery will last you at least 11 hours if you leave it in activity tracking mode, and you’ll be able to easily review your stats for the day from the Garmin Connect app or the online tool on Garmin’s website.
You’ll have a number of incredibly useful statistics at your disposable when you’re wearing the Forerunner 235 every day. One of the Forerunner 235’s most attractive features is that it will log your running times, along with other statistics like the speed and pace that you maintained for each run.
It will monitor your heart rate all day, not just when you’re working out and the Forerunner 235 is working all day long, as it’s tracking the number of calories that you’ve burned for each workout, as well as the calories that you’ve burned just moving throughout your day.
Anyone that’s ever trained for a marathon or started a weight loss journey around New Year’s knows that while it’s important to put in the work when you begin your workout every day, it’s even more important to make sure that your body is getting the proper rest. After all, you won’t get too far if your body isn’t able to handle the strain of your workout if it’s not well rested. The Forerunner 235 tracks your sleep, so you can log into your app or head over to Garmin’s website and visit Garmin Connect.
Garmin Connect will report how much sleep you’ve been getting while wearing the Forerunner 235.In a chart or graph, the Forerunner will report how often you wake up throughout the night, and when you are in a state of REM sleep. You can review that information along with other statistics that will help you improve the efficiency of your workouts.
You’ll also be able to monitor your heart rate throughout the day, and the spikes and drops in your heart rate will sync to the Garmin Connect app on your phone, and you can review this information at any point throughout your day.
Top Features and Specs
- Optional Glonass Setting. The Forerunner 235 strives to be the ideal running companion so that you can track your running distances, times, and speeds. The latest installment in Garmin’s wearable heart rate monitors allows you to change the GPS setting from GPS to GLONASS, GLONASS can help pinpoint locations on your run that the standard GPS can’t pick up.
- Compatibility. The Forerunner 235 is compatible with both Android and Apple devices, so you can check in on Garmin Connect to review your stats regardless of which device that you have.
- Easy To Understand Results. You can view your stats and run times on Garmin Connect, and Garmin has made it incredibly simple to analyze your results. Garmin Connect will provide easy to read graphs, charts, and maps that reflect the data that you recorded on your Forerunner 235.
- Connect IQ. Garmin Connect has an app platform that you can download new watch faces, applications, and data fields from at any time.
What Customers are Saying
This trendy smartwatch and fitness tracker is a pretty big investment. It retails at around $330, and you’ll want to make sure that the watch might be a good fit for you before you try it out for yourself.
Most customers are impressed with how lightweight the watch is, other smartwatches have been bulky or uncomfortable in comparison. It’s stylish and comfortable to wear around your wrist, which is important because the watch needs to be placed very snugly against your wrist in order to get an accurate reading.
A lot of Garmin Forerunner 235 users were impressed that the Garmin didn’t follow the same trends that other smartwatches did. They preferred the Forerunner 235’s round design, and that it looked like a traditional watch.
Buyers that left mid-level to poor reviews noted that the device isn’t always consistent if you’re doing interval training and that it may be a better fit if your primary reason for buying the watch is to monitor your heart rate and speeds while you’re on a run. Additionally, some users were disappointed over some glitches in the software that interfere with the heart rate reading and workout data.
The Garmin Forerunner 235 is an excellent step forward for individuals that take their running very seriously. You cannot beat the advantages of having distance and lap notifications, heart rate monitoring, and the ability to stay connected by viewing texts, emails, and phone call notifications from the watch.
However, if you’re looking for a stylish fitness tracker that you can use during HIIT workouts or while you swim, this is not going to be the best fit for you because the Garmin Forerunner 235 is designed to maximize workouts for runners, and in some cases, cyclists. You’ll definitely want to try it out if you’re hoping to accomplish an ambitious fitness goal.
Compared to some of its competitors that sell smartwatches with heart rate monitoring capabilities, the Garmin Forerunner 235 won’t disappoint when it comes to price, usability, and style.
- GPS Running Watch with Wrist-based Heart Rate
- Customize Your Watch and Your Training, Larger Screen - a 44% Larger Screen than the 225 but the Same Physical Size
- Audio Prompts - Receive Audio Prompts from Your Connected Smartphone That Include Laps and Lap Times